Thursday, June 20, 2013

Negative Portrayals of Comic Shops


Since the tender age of ten I have been reading comic books. I stumbled into the hobby as just a passing school fad that never passed. It wasn’t until several years later that I began frequenting comic book shops, initially just frequenting newsstands for my occasional comic fix. Of course once I discovered comic book shops I became a regular frequenter of them, seeking out a local shop regardless of what my geographical location happened to be. And while I have been to many comic shops, they never seem to resemble the stereotypical portrayals they receive in film and television.

Particularly what I find puzzling about the portrayals of comic stores in films and television are they people they depict both running the shops and the clientele (aka myself). The inspiration for this blog entry came while I was watching an episode of The Big Bang Theory. The characters on this show are shown regularly hanging out in their local shop. From the first appearance of the comic shop on this show, the writers of the show have populated the store with an assortment of odd and socially awkward individuals (one such individual referred to only as “Captain Sweatpants”).

Now I understand that the crux of The Big Bang Theory is that the main characters are all nerds. And of course nerds all love comic books (I’ve found this is only true in fiction). But just because the main characters are socially awkward (especially Sheldon) does not mean that all people who inhabit their world must be awkward as well. When they initially introduced the character of Stuart, the owner of the shop, they portrayed him as both a talented artist and even a romantic rival to Leonard for the affections of Penny. Sadly all future appearances of the character made him seem either pathetic, desperate, and also living a life of poverty.

Though as pathetic as the character of Stuart may have become, he was still a far cry from the character who inspired me to write this entry, Doug. In the episode Season Five episode The Flaming Spittoon Acquisition, Leonard and Sheldon come into the store to find not Stuart behind the counter but someone else. Not surprising at all. Most stores probably have more than one employee. The problem is this only other employee (whom we have never seen before) appears to be mentally retarded. I know it is not politically correct to use that term, but sadly it is the only description that fits. He is a grown man with the mental faculties of a small child. Apparently the implication is that since Stuart is so awkward and pathetic, anyone who is his subordinate must be just a complete wreck.

Another problem I have with the depiction of comic shops, particularly in this show, is that they seem to imply that women never go to comic book shops. Or if they do, seeing one there is like spotting a unicorn. This makes no sense to me at all. Not only have I seen many women in comic book shops, but nearly every shop I have bought from over the years has had a woman working behind the counter. And usually very attractive ones at that. And knowledgeable too. I consider myself a scholar of the sequential arts and many of these women know far more about comics than I ever could.

Nor are the proprietors of comic shops the snobbish gatekeepers like sometimes they are portrayed. Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons being the perfect example of that. Kicking people out of their stores, mocking people who are less knowledgeable about comics and sci-fi than they are, this is just simply not the case. Most of the shop owners I have known have been friendly and welcoming to all. And of course they would be. It’s just good business sense.  Who wants to frequent a shop where you’re treated like scum (yes, I’m sure we can all name a few horrific customer experience)?

In truth, the negative portrayals of comic shops are just a further extension of the mocking of geek culture in general. For many the comic book shop is a temple to geek culture. Regardless of how mainstream geeks become in media and entertainment, there will always be a negative stigma towards the original fans of comics, sci-fi and all other manners of entertainment that falls within the geek umbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment